31 January, 2009

Teapots

I've been working on these teapots for about a week now. I spray them almost every day and am able to add more clay elements and different slips. I actually added a new spout to teapot #1. I forgot to take pictures though. The new spout is thrown round and fits the whole shape much better now.

Today I put black slip all over teapot #2 and added more clay, in order to make this piece more realistic. I'll apply red slip to the (now grey) clay and will put on tons of iron oxide once it has been bisque fired. I've been thinking about what else I might put on; maybe Obama in slip, if I can figure out how to do that! Maybe something related to him... We'll see!





3 comments:

  1. Hi Mel, I am amazed how you can keep adding or changing parts to your tea pots, they are turning out so wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Linda, yes, let's keep your fingers crossed that it dries slowly and nothing falls off again :) i had to spray this teapot so many times and it is unfortunately drying so quickly, even though it is covered under plastic! but i'm hoping the slip will act as a glue as well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What amazing teapots. A few days ago you asked me a question about slips, sorry it's taken me so long to get back to you. Truth is, I just slap it on! Well maybe not as simply as that, but I enjoy the marks left by fingers etc and I use the slips thickly enough that they cover the body, but thinly enough that a little of it shows through where the slip pours on thinner. Not sure that was much help. Look forward to seeing the teapots finished - have you thought about paper resist for the lettering?

    ReplyDelete